Thursday, November 13, 2008

Missouri's New Governor

The other result from the election that I have been excited about is Jay Nixon's victory. I originally supported him for two reasons: First, because he is a Democrat. As moderate as the Democrats are in Missouri, they are better than the alternative. Second, because he has served honorably as Attorney General for several years, and I am confident that will transfer over to his Governorship.
I have studied his education proposals from his campaign website, and there are only two things that stick out:
  • He opposes Governor Blunt's decision to take money away from MOHELA, one of many decisions I did not like from Blunt.
  • Nixon wants to build onto the A+ Program with the Missouri Promise.

I like the Missouri Promise proposal, but I wish he had more to offer in terms of education policy proposals. After all, what happens at the state level in education is just as important, if not more so, than what happens at the federal level.

No comments: