Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Day after in D.C. Public Schools


The Washington Post writes on the different discussions going on in classrooms all over the Washington, D.C. area about the election. I am sure these types of discussions were going on in classrooms all over the country, but it is significant in D.C. because of it's large African-American population, not to mention it's the nation's capitol. A quote from one student:

"Today, I said the Pledge of Allegiance for the first time in three years," said Grant Durando, 17, an Obama supporter and a student in Justin Brown's Advanced Placement government class at Potomac Falls High. "I said it because I'm proud -- that our country can go from killing millions of people on slave ships to one that puts a black man in office. I think I meant it for the first time, too."
The picture comes from the same article.

No comments: